Smelly Cats and Defunct Websites

Currently Available
Years ago, I worked for what I guess was supposed to be the new Yahoo or MSN: Examiner.com. 

The idea was to produce news that would have the same impact as news from larger, national sites, only the Examiner website would reflect local events. Reporters had to pick specific, local topics to comment on. 

I picked "Cats." I either wasn't plugged into "cat culture" in Portland, Maine (in retrospect, I should have linked up with the Greater Portland Animal Refuge League and showcased a cat a week on my feed) or Portland, Maine is more of a "dog" than "cat" city (also true). I struggled to come up with articles. 

In fairness, so did everyone. The company tried to pay us in "goods" (services), which interested me not at all. I wanted money.

However, I stuck with the organization until it folded (apparently, it has returned), and I regularly published--enough to keep myself active. It was good discipline and good practice at brainstorming ideas and churning out articles, even on a fairly meager topic. I ended up writing a great many entertainment-based articles (though I got special attention for posting a PowerPoint on how to make a cat game).

I recently thought of a topic, "Oh, I would post about that on Examiner!" 

Instead, I'm posting it here:

Smelly Cats

In the world of "problems with pets," dogs bite and bark. Cats smell and escape. 

Smelly cats show up in Major Crimes and on Friends. In "Two Options," Season 3 of Major Crimes, Rusty is requested to take a smelly cat out of its cage, so Lieutenant Tao can check it for a chip. 

At this point, if I was still working for the site, I would make a note to myself to write a separate article about "chips." My most recent cat Chloe has one (she came with it). I haven't bothered to register it. She is strictly an indoor cat and unlike some of my previous cats, she cannot get out. But the arrival of a cat with a chip in my house means that many owners are dealing with the pros and cons of the technology, whether they like to or not. 

In any case, to return to Rusty's ordeal...

Cats on television are rather like babies on television. The protesting cries nearly always occur when the cat's head is turned away. Viewers may rest assured that the animal is actually being well-treated--and is likely quite docile. 

Likewise, the cat, Princess, in "Two Options," may smell, but it is obviously beautifully maintained. 

On Friends, of course, "Smelly Cats" are idolized in Phoebe's tribute song. 

At this point, the Examiner article would address non-smelly cat litter and "dry" shampoo wipes for cat fur. 

It is much more fun to end with Phoebe's song. Her version comes first. The music video version is below. 



No comments: