Memorable Moment: Dealing with Kids in Last Man Standing

Ryan scares his son, Boyd, by going on and on about sinkholes and fire out of faucets and all the terrible things that can happen in the world (and no, I'm not going to mention the current I'm-working-from-home crisis).

Consequently, Boyd has refused to leave Mike, his grandfather's, side.

Ryan comes to pick up Boyd to take him home. When Boyd refuses, Ryan--in exasperation--says to Mike, "What am I supposed to do? Lie to him?"
Mike responds, "You've just got to make the kid feel safe somehow...You got to be bigger than his fears...You scared Boyd with something he can't control. You told him that no one up there is looking out for him. Which left you. Which actually left me. And I am tired."
It's a fascinating moment in terms of anthropology, not to mention child psychology. The line I really like: "And I am tired!" (Theological query: Does God ever feel like this? Response: Yes, according to the most miffed of the Bible prophets. Question: Would Mike Baxter mind being compared to God? Answer: No.)

Of course, the scene is beautifully paid-off when Mike's daughter, Kristin, comes to pick up Boyd. She proves that she can be bigger than his fears when she picks him up and carries him out of the house, proclaiming, "I am the mom!"

No comments: