Humans Connect Emotion to Everything

Humans have the capacity to anthropomorphize EVERYTHING and ANYTHING. Years ago, when I worked at the University of Maine Law School as a receptionist/copy monkey, instructors would swear to me that the huge copier in the building disliked them. It chose THAT moment--THAT moment 5 minutes before class--to stop working. And I came to believe that the machine could sense rush (the logic side of my brain pointed out that rushing led instructors to do dumb things like not remove staples from pages about to be copied). 

The Baskerville robot dog in Elementary--that falls through a tarp and injures its leg--always makes me very, very sad. Poor killing machine! Poor, limping, killing machine! Someone take it home, fix it up, and give it a bath...in motor oil, of course. 



No comments: