Conversations with a Translator: Fireworks

It has been years since I saw a full fireworks show.

When I was growing up, fireworks took place in our neighborhood. We had sparklers and those wormy things that expanded and shrink when lit. And every now and again, a neighbor (or my dad) would set off, ah, um, illegal fireworks obtained from various places outside New York (I'm sure the statute of limitations has passed).

When I got older, I went to firework shows, but frankly, the driving, parking, and crowds dulled the fascination for me.

In my apartment from several years ago, I could see fireworks at the local baseball stadium. I always knew when the Sea Dogs won!

And last year, either the city of Portland or some enterprising souls set off fireworks around Portland. 

Akihito's work kept him late.

This year, a regular show was held. I assumed I wouldn't see it. The regular show usually takes place on the Casco Bay side of the Portland peninsula.

This year, it was held nearer Back Cove. I had a direct view of the entire show across an empty parking lot. I didn't even have to crane my neck. I felt like Akihito in Finder, watching from my special balcony. I got to watch the whole shebang, including the impressive climax.

So, here is Conversation with a Translator: Fireworks!

Kate: So in the latest manga volume I read, a character starts talking about firework shows during the summer. Granted, Americans also like their fireworks, but in Maine, at least, they are confined to (1) the local baseball team, the Sea Dogs, winning a game; (2) the Fourth of July.

Asami's hired expert.
The character's statements made it sound as if fireworks are commonly sponsored events in Japan during the summer--on the beach as well as in the city. I couldn't tell from the dialog if they were attached to any particular holiday (watching the fireworks requires dressing up in a kimono) or if summertime is simply an excuse!

Are the Japanese more fireworks-conscious than Americans? Or about the same? And what about regulations? I got the impression that Japanese fireworks are as carefully regulated, if not more so.
Eugene: Japan has New York-style fireworks regulations. Enforced. The only real fireworks for "home use" are sparklers. Not like Utah, where July 4th and the 24th are like the climax of a Marvel superhero movie (fighter jets included).

But "official" fireworks festivals are bigger in Japan. Very big during O-Bon, which is held in July or August, depending on the region (it has to do with adoption of the Gregorian calendar). And Tanabata (July 7).

Local summer festivals (like July 24th in Utah or St. Patrick's Day in New York) put on big and elaborate parades followed by big and elaborate fireworks.

There are also regional fireworks festivals and competitions that have been going on for centuries. And commercial operations like hot springs resorts that, like Disneyland, do it for the publicity and entertainment value.

A "how-to" guide:

https://www.tofugu.com/japan/japanese-summer-festivals/ 
A list of the major festivals:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2063.html 
The Tokushima Awa Odori festival gets national television coverage and has become a huge tourist attraction. Lots of videos on YouTube.

http://japantravelmate.com/shikoku/awa-odori-tokushima-shikoku-dance-festival-japan

1 comment:

Matthew said...

Last night, here in Colorado everyone was shooting off fireworks to the point that when I went outside it sounded like a war zone. I think a lot of it was pent up frustration over Covid. I was able to see the local fireworks show from my neighbors lawn.