Great Frasier Moment: Lilith and Eddie

Lilith comes to town. This is Season 1, so she is meeting Eddie for the first time. She sits down on the couch. Eddie jumps up to do his regular staring routine.

Lilith turns and looks at him.

"Go away," she says evenly.

Eddie goes away.

"Well, why does he listen to you and not to me?" Frasier whines.

"By the tone of my voice, he senses I mean business," Lilith replies.

"Oh, I see, you're saying your voice is more commanding than mine?"

"Hell," listening Martin says, "I took half a step before I realized she was talking to the dog."

What is so amazing about Bebe Neuwirth as Lilith is that although the character is often fodder for amusing commentary, she is totally respected--even liked--by the audience.

When Martin makes his comment, Lilith appears nonplussed. She is, after all, there to try to patch things up with Frasier and is feeling vulnerable. The marvelous Bebe Neuwirth conveys toughness, vulnerability, and an inherent sternness of thought, all at the same time.

Great sitcom moment and great character!

No comments: