Books Where I Like the Visual Better: Jeeves & Wooster

I'm almost afraid to admit this since P.G. Wodehouse fans can put Harry Potter fans to shame. But I can never get into his books. I feel like I'm watching The Drew Carey Show. I really like Drew Carey. When I watch his sitcom, however, I feel like a kid whose nose is pressed against the window, watching fun from the outside. I mean, I just don't get it.

That's how I feel when I read P.G. Wodehouse's books. And yet, I adore Jeeves & Wooster, the BBC series (and boy, is it an exercise in cognitive dissonance to watch Hugh Laurie as Wooster and then Hugh Laurie as House!).

The show is hilarious. And perfectly cast. And hilarious. And did I mention hilarious? Hugh Laurie captures dope, occasionally canny dope, perfectly. And Stephen Fry is one of those "I lift my eyebrow and you start laughing" actors (he's wonderful in Bones too). I especially enjoy their musical performances. But everything, from the banter to the physical antics, makes the episodes practically flawless.

2 comments:

Matthew said...

To use a food metaphor, I found Wodehouse to be like a pastry: tastes good but it isn't substantive. I enjoy the books but it's all fluff. I do find they make a good palate cleanser if you read something ultra-dark like say Blood Meridian.

Joe said...

I just finished listening to a Wodehouse book. It's the precursor of light sit com and I was glad when it ended. Last year I listened to some Jeeves & Wooster stories; they worked because I imagined Laurie and Fry in the parts. But yes, the TV series does work much better than the books.