Javier Marías: Voyage Along the Horizon is well-written–I always admire easily conveyed descriptive settings–but it has too many devices that I don’t much care for: a narrator with no name; characters with no names; lots of reflections without context, and a bunch of blurbs--when I close the book and glance at the back cover--that keep telling me how impressed I’m supposed to be by all this.
Juliet Marillier: Daughter of the Forest is a book I have seen for years! I never got around to it until now, and it is one of the few books, I stuck with for awhile. I may go back to it someday.
Isaac Marion: The Burning World is an intellectual zombie novel, artistic enough that the introduction of “zombie” surprised me (I thought it would be addressed more euphemistically). It tackles, at first, the idea of recovering from death. However, I’m not really into zombies, intellectual and profound or not.

No comments:
Post a Comment