All the Ms Continued: Mabanckou to Mac

Alain Mabanckou: The book I picked up is Black Moses. Of the first set of Ms, its writing impressed me the most. 

Will Mabbitt: The Unlikely Adventures of Mabel Jones is one of those kids' books which delivers changes in font, words based on sound (an Omnyus Hussh), a kidnapping due to booger-eating, and a narrator who speaks to the reader. I've never been particularly interested in this style of writing, even as a kid. I want the fourth wall to stay more firmly in place. For what it is, it appears to be a rollicking ride!

Jonathan Maberry: The book, Mars One, is about colonization to Mars. I generally avoid reading books that are too close to a project I am working on. I did find the first chapters engaging, however, and I liked the fact that the colonization is complicated by pro and con-factions. But I did stop reading. 

Samantha Mabry: Tigers, Not Daughters has a gripping first chapter. I didn’t continue but I was impressed! The writing is smooth and the hint of otherworldliness is already apparent. 

Carrie Mac: Wildfire has a powerful beginning! Unfortunately, it has two strikes against it for me: one, it is one long flashback; two, it is (as stated on the dust jacket) about “the power of unrequited love,” which implies a certain type of ending. I can handle angst as in Diane Duane’s Deep Wizardry when the main character confesses a crush that isn’t returned. But hey, they are currently saving the world, so that’s just one part of the plot! If neither flashbacks that encompass an entire book or unrequited love irritate you, the book is quite well-written.

No comments: