M is for More

Eikon Bible Art
I covered a number of Ms in "Mc is for Magic" and "M is for Mystery Writers (specifically Marsh)". Here are the rest . . .

Mann, Thomas. Thomas Mann wrote Joseph and His Brothers and Joseph in Egypt, both of which I attempted to read when I was younger. I am a huge fan of the story of Joseph from the Old Testament in all its formats. I was introduced to the story as art when one of my brothers brought home a recording of Andrew Lloyd Webber's Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat. This was back in the 70s, so I couldn't say which version it was. I don't think it was the original (performed in a boys' school), but it was pretty close. I was . . . enamored, is the only appropriate word. I memorized all the songs and sang them (probably tonelessly--these days I only sing in the shower or car) constantly as I wandered about the house. I have since experienced several live versions of the musical (including an excellent local stage company's production) plus multiple movie versions, musical and otherwise.  I quite like the New Media Bible/Genesis Project version, which is unfortunately, difficult to get these days.

One of the best stories ever told!

McCullough, Colleen: I read Tim. I dismissed Thorn Birds. And I greatly disliked the premise of her Austen tribute.

Medeiros, Theresa is a romance writer whose books I occasionally read. Her romances fall directly between character-based and world-based--all about the romantic leads (which I prefer) or all about the world in which they live, including their co-workers, pets, family friends, cousins, and neighbors, etc. etc. etc. (which I don't much care for), so choosing a book is something of a gamble.

I quite like the Patrick Stewart version of Moby Dick--
that's Ted Levine in the middle! 
Melville, Herman. I have read some of Moby Dick! I gave up around the middle. However, I admire the book and use the chapter "The Whiteness of the Whale" in my folklore class (after which, I say, "Aren't you glad I don't make you read the whole thing?")

Meyer, Stephanie. I read a chapter of the first Twilight book. Bella bored me, so I gave up. Having said that, I have nothing against Meyer or the series. I love to see writers make money!

Michaels, Barbara is the alter-ego for Barbara Mertz who also writes as Elizabeth Peters! I have read books under all "MPM" pseudonyms. The Barbara Michaels'  books are suspense/romance. I quite like them. I quite like Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series as well, but I haven't kept up with it (there are only so many unending series that I can keep up with--right now, my focus is Cherryh's Foreigner series--I recently finished Book 15).

Milan, Courtney is romance writer whose books are somewhat difficult to track down (in libraries). I greatly enjoyed her series starting with Unveiled. Romance writers tend to excel at male or female characters; Milan does a satisfactory job bringing the Turner Brothers to life. The female characters are less distinct although I enjoyed Miranda Darling of Unraveled.

Miller, Arthur. He is a great playwright. And The Crucible makes a great point. It isn't historically accurate, which happens to bug me. Still, it deserves its accolades

Miller, Walter M: Canticle for Leibowitz is not my favorite sci-fi book but it is well worth reading--astonishing in its concept.
 
Mitchell, Margaret. I read Gone With the Wind in 10th or 11th grade. It was one of my first introductions to literary snobbery.

I wafted between two or three "cliques" in high school. One group of friends read Judy Blume stuff, including teen romance paperbacks. The other group read stuff like On Walden Pond. When I brought out my 1000-page tome of Gone with the Wind, the Walden Pond group responded with raised  brows and pursed mouths (seriously--there is nothing so solemn and prudish and miserable as a bunch of literary snobs). I read the book anyway.

In general, I was largely saved from literary snobbery in high school and college by utter bemusement: Why would I limit my reading material based on what others read? I truly didn't understand why anybody would do such a self-destructive thing.

Montgomery, L.M. is best known for her Anne novels. Like Louisa May Alcott, Montgomery also wrote ghost/suspense stories. They are quite good!

Mortimer, John: The Rumpole stories are delightful. The series starring Leo McKern even more so!


No comments: