A is for Authors Adams to Austen

A few years ago, I read a new fiction author from every letter in the alphabet. This time around, I decided to report on which fiction authors from A-Z I've actually read!

Adams, Douglas: Although I've read and enjoyed the Hitchhiker series, I enjoy the Dirk Gently books more, especially The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul.

http://fleurfisher.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/louisa-may-alcott-a-long-fatal-love-chase.jpg?w=500

Aird, Catherine: A British mystery writer. These light reads are very pleasant although the earlier ones--which I prefer--are not always easy to track down. I recommend The Religious Body and Parting Breath as two of Aird's best.

Alcott, Louisa: Of course! However, the book I enjoyed as a youngster wasn't Little Women but Under the Lilacs. (In general, I am sticking to adult fiction; however, Louisa May Alcott falls into the genres of children, YA, and adult fiction--the latter for books like A Long Fatal Love Chase, which I have also read--so I went ahead and included her here.)

Alighieri, Dante: I reread the Divine Comedy every decade or so. I consider it one of the most incredible works ever written. It is also one of those works, especially The Inferno, that has influenced so many other writers, it should be read simply to gain insight into Western Literature. 

Allingham, Margery: Another British mystery writer. She created the detective, Campion. I confess that although I have read a few of Allingham's books, I never got into them like I did with books by other Golden Age mystery writers. The only one I can remember with any clarity is the one where Campion loses his memory: Traitor's Purse.

Anderson, Poul: Poul Anderson is the science-fiction writer I attempted to read for my A-Z Book Reviews. I succeeded the second time around.

Anthony, Piers: I was a big fan of Piers Anthony when I was a teen, meaning I read several of his Xanth books. However, I haven't read anything of his in years--probably due to my resistance to super-loooong fantasy/sci-fi series.

Alexander, Tasha: She writes the Lady Emily series. These are mystery/suspense books set in Victorian England. They're okay books, but I actually prefer Deanna Raybourn's Lady Julia Grey Series, which I'll discuss more when I get to "R". (Comparisons of this kind are unfair: Why not just enjoy both series?! But I find Alexander's writing a little too slow; I figure if I'm going to read a large, historical suspense novel, I might as well choose one that flows quickly. However, there is no reason not to just read both authors.)

Archer, Jeffrey: I have read exactly one book by Jeffrey Archer, and it is absolutely hilarious: Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less.

Asimov, Isaac: I'm a huge fan! I never got into the Foundation Series, but I LOVE the Robot books (I don't count them as a "series" since I've never read them that way--no continuity required). They are sci-fi mysteries--with robots! How great is that!

Auel, Jean: I got in trouble for reading Auel in eleventh grade. I sat in the back of math class and read The Clan of the Cave Bear. I then started failing math. I then got moved to the front of the class and had to put the book away. Lesson learned: be more clever about reading fiction in the classroom. And don't fail tests.

The "Gentleman" is Darcy

Austen, Jane: Austen, of course, is a favorite! It was  reading an Austen tribute for the A-Z Book Reviews that got me interested in writing A Man of Few Words, my own tribute to Pride & Prejudice, Persuadable, my tribute to Persuasion, and Catherine Morland & The Matchmaker, my tribute to Northanger Abbey

I'm sure there are more "As" but these are the ones I remember at the moment. "B"s will follow!

No comments: