E is for Ewwww (Elkins)

What I read: Skeleton Dance by Aaron Elkins.

Ewwww.

Not really. The detective is a forensic anthropologist á la Bones. And looking at skeletons is somewhat less gruesome than looking at corpses--on paper, at least.

I quite enjoyed Skeleton Dance and recently picked up another Elkins' mystery. Skeleton Dance is a bit slow, but I like the detective, Gideon Oliver, and his wife, and the writing has a humorous edge to it. I also enjoyed the plot of Skeleton Dance which revolves around a modern Piltdown Man scandal--an anthropological fraud and who might have the most to gain from it. I was even somewhat surprised by the identity of the murderer and by the motive. I never try to guess the murderer when I read mysteries, so if I do guess, it means the mystery is really obvious. Skeleton Dance kept me guessing!

Updates: I finally saw Carrie (based on Theodore Dreiser's Sister Carrie). The Carrie of the movie is much sweeter and innocent than the Carrie of the book. However, Laurence Olivier was spot-on accurate as Hurstwood (by the way, in my small, small world, Nicole Wallace references Dreiser's character "Hurstwood" in order to communicate information about herself to Goren in Law & Order: Criminal Minds). I knew Olivier was a great actor; I never appreciated how much until I saw this movie.

On to letter "F"!

No comments: