F is for Fun, Fantastic, and Familiar

Farrington, Tim
: I greatly enjoyed The Monk Downstairs. I also enjoyed Lizzie's War.

Faulkner, William: I'm a big fan of William Faulkner. I naturally read "A Rose for Emily" in high school (and college). My favorite piece by him is "The Bear" found in Go Down, Moses. His style of writing is sublimely evocative, sort of like reading Isaiah, only, you know, readable.

Feist, Raymond: I read a book by Feist for the first A-Z list. My review is here.

Feather, Jane: Jane Feather is a skilled romance writer! But I must confess: I dislike her heroines.

 Fforde, Jasper: I read several of the Thursday books when they first came out and enjoyed them. I didn't keep up.

I'm a big fan of the classic (some would say cliche) narrative arc; I read mysteries and romances over and over again. However, some book series seem less like classic arcs and more like one-trick ponies. Seth Grahame-Smith's Pride & Prejudice & Zombies was funny and...okay, that was nice. I feel the same about the Thursday series. Not that I wish these writers ill--I'm all about writers being able to make a living (and creating/contributing to a popular series is the way to do it)!

Fielding, Henry:
I read Tom Jones in college and saw the movie with Albert Finney (watch Tom Jones; then watch Murder on the Orient Express; then go, "Wow!"). I don't think I disliked the book, but I'm afraid I have a problem with Fielding because of his utterly unfair Shamela. Fielding was just as susceptible to distressed females as Pamela's creator; Richardson just irked him.

Fitzgerald, F. Scott: Of course, I read The Great Gatsby--you think any college would give me an English degree if I hadn't read Fitzgerald's American classic!? I haven't, however, seen the latest movie.

Flagg, Fannie: Fannie Flagg's book Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, which became the movie Fried Green Tomatos, is one of those books that I think I read, yet I mostly remember the movie--or at least the end of the movie. 

Fluke, Joanna: I read several books from the Hannah Swensen series and enjoyed them. I always get a kick out of the mystery/recipe combo. I gave up after awhile and explained why in a post about Buffy (and other vampire fiction). Here is my reason in summary: 
In book 5, Harris begins to head Sookie down a path that so many female suspense/mystery writers seemed compelled to take: the Road of Multiple Suitors. I can only surmise, based on the Twilight series' existence and success, that female writers and their readers enjoy fantasizing a princess-quest allotment of suitors for their heroines. Too many female-written mysteries contain if not several suitors, at least two who vie unceasingly for the heroine's attention. I have no very high opinion of the heroines and almost no opinion of the suitors (get a life already, people).
Ford, Jamie
: Hotel on the Corner of Bitter & Sweet. My bookclub read it. Good book. I'm amazed that it isn't a movie!

Forster, E.M.: I don't think I've ever read an E.M. Forster book (maybe 1/2 of one once), but I've seen plenty of his movies! Room with a View (fun!), Howards End (depressing), Where Angels Fear to Tread (depressing). I can't say I feel compelled to read his books.

Forester, C.S.: I haven't read anything by C.S. Forester either. However, my mother is a fan of the Horatio Hornblower series, so I know quite a lot about the books from discussions with her. And I've seen the BBC series starring Ioan Gruffudd. I think the series is impressive, and Gruffudd does an excellent job as the titular character. This makes his less than excellent performance in Fantastic Four all the more puzzling.

My theory: Gruffudd couldn't figure out what he was doing in Fantastic Four. Of course, neither could Chris Evans, but Chris Evans coped by mugging endlessly to the camera, i.e. not letting the movie get him down. Since Chris Evens went on to  prove his ability (as Captain America), my advice to actors: even if it is a stupid movie, don't let anyone know through your acting. (In "British Television is a Small Place" World, Jamie Bamber also plays a role in the Horatio Hornblower series.)

Francis, Dick: Yup, I've read a few Dick Francis novels. Unfortunately, they belong to the detective-who-gets-beat-up variety of mysteries, not the investigation-in-a-small-town variety and don't interest me that much. I don't consider them more or less realistic than any other type of mystery, simply not my cup of tea.  
 
Frazier, Charles: I read Cold Mountain years ago for book club. I remember liking it but nothing else about it. 

At some point, I may start a series of posts on "good books I admire but didn't get into" alongside "hopeless stuff that I like anyway" and everything in-between.

Fowler, Karen: Another movie that I haven't seen: The Jane Austen Book Club! I have read the book, though. I'd say, "Ah, another novel capitalizing on Austen," but geez, who I am to talk!

No comments: